The World School Games wrapped up in Casablanca, Morocco with Swim Ireland sending a team of 5 girls and 3 boys, competing from the 5th – 7th of May. Team Ireland has medalled in 13 events, including 6 gold, 5 silver and 2 bronze medal results.
The Gymnasiade is the international school summer games in which 58 countries are represented by their nations top young athletes. Gymnasiade 2018 sees 3000 athletes compete at 18 sports during the week of 2nd – 9th of May 2018.
The female Irish representatives included Mona McSharry, Maria Godden and Ellen Walshe, who became National Champions in April, as well as Rebecca Reid and Niamh Coyne were medallists at the Championships. Each athlete came home with two or more medals which is a great reward for the effort and hard work they put into their sport.
Their results included:
- Mona McSharry: Four gold medals in 50m Breastroke, 100m Breastroke, 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay, 4 x 100m Medley Relay. Bronze in 4 x 100m Mixed Freestyle Relay.
- Maria Godden: Two gold medals in 4 x 100m Medley Relay, 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay. Bronze in 100m Backstroke.
- Ellen Walshe: Three gold medals in 200m Butterfly, 4 x 100m Medley Relay, 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay.
- Rebecca Reid: Gold in 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay. Bronze in 4 x 100m Mixed Freestyle Relay.
- Niamh Coyne: Gold 4 x 100m Medley Relay. Two silver medals in 100m Breastroke, 200m Breastroke.
- Gold in 4 x 100m Freestyle: Maria Godden, Ellen Walshe, Rebecca Reid, Mona McSharry
- Gold in 4 x 100m Medley: Maria Godden, Ellen Walshe, Niamh Coyne, Mona McSharry
- Bronze in 4 x 100m Freestyle Mixed: Mona McSharry, Rebecca Reid, Jack McMillan, Cadan McCarthy
The girls broke the Irish 4 x 100m Medley relay record in a time of 4.12.29 minutes, as well as McSharry and Reid breaking the Irish Senior 4 x 100m Freestyle Mixed Relay record in a time of 3.40.52 minutes with teammates Jack McMillan and Cadan McCarthy.
Coaches: Mark Craig & Sinead Donagher
Team Manager: Mary Dunne
Find out more information on Gymnasiade 2018!