WNL Series 15 Recap: Shelbourne And Peamount Hopscotch About Top Spot While Wexford Nip At Their Heels

Only three games took place in the Women’s National League last weekend, but no fans were left parched with ferocity of the matches that did take place.

While Bohemians versus DLR was postponed, reigning champions Peamount United traveled to bottom of the table Athlone Town, Shelbourne undertook an annihilation of Treaty United in Tolka Park and Wexford Youths put four goals past a disheveled Cork City.

Shelbourne 7-2 Treaty United

Shelbourne celebrate their grip on the game, @loiwomen, Twitter
Shelbourne celebrate their grip on the game, @loiwomen, Twitter

The Reds sauntered back to the summit of the competition after this goal fest in Dublin saw a gutsy Treaty devastated.

Noel King’s side marked the scoresheet six times in the first 45 minutes to ensure the second half seemed over before it even got started.

Emily Whelan netted the first of the fixture and her seventh goal of the season in the fifth minute to open the floodgates, before Saorise Noonan bagged a brace and Jessie Stapleton, Keeva Keenan and Ciara Grant scored before the interval too.

Jenna Slattery managed to pull two back for the Shannonsiders but Mia Dodd hit the final nail into the coffin when she blasted the ball home after coming on as a substitute and inflicted Treaty with a 7-2 defeat.

Athlone Town 1-2 Peamount United

Athlone astounded everyone in their home ground when they took an early lead against joined league leaders Peamount United on Saturday, but it wasn’t to endure as James O’Callaghan’s ladies withstood a late red card to seal the victory.

Emily Corbett opened the scoring on the day when she chipped Peas’ goalkeeper Naoisha McAloon to send optimism through the roof in The Midlands ground.

Around 30 minutes in however Alanna McEvoy dragged the opposition back to reality when she equalised with a piledriving strike that appeared unstoppable, the score-line later supplemented by captain Áine O’Gorman in the second half

Tiegan Ruddy received a straight red card for a defensive impediment and the subsequent freekick had calls flaring throughout the ground for VAR goal line technology although it yet to make its way to Athlone Town Park and therefore didn’t stand in the referee’s book, finishing things up at 2-1.

Speaking after the game McEvoy talked of the “tough match” and battling the feeling of playing away from home.

“They had a good crowd here, so we had to fight against that” she said.

“We went 1-0 down and ended up getting back just before halftime which was good for us. Then we just stuck it out.”

“We obviously went a player down, but we just stayed together and fought until the end where we got the win.”

Wexford Youths 4-1 Cork City

Captain Kylie Murphy led by example in Ferrycarrig Park on Saturday as she blew double in the 5th and 41st minute, aided by strikes from Sinead Taylor and Ellen Molloy for the 4-1 triumph in their clash against Cork.

The Youth’s exploited City’s carelessness at the back by getting in behind and exposing fear in their defense as they characteristically ran at them in attack.

Eva Mangan captured a consolation goal eight minutes away from the final whistle but it was to no avail as the away side were already down and out upon this moment, outclassed by a superb Wexford performance.

Next week

Bohemians will grace the league with their presence again next week as they host Wexford Youths and Cork City are to battle it out against Peamount United. Also on Saturday Athlone Town head to DLR Waves at the UCD bowl, while Shels look to continue their good run of form away to Galway.

Alanna Cunnane

Alanna Cunnane is currently pursuing her studies in journalism and is an avid women in sport advocate, with a keen interest in all sports. Alanna writes for her local paper in Sligo and also reports for Ocean FM radio. Instagram: @acunnane | Twitter: @:ACunnane10 |

Related Articles

Back to top button