Irish 800m runner, Siofra Cleirigh Buttner, has made it to the final at the DI NCAA Outdoor Championships in Oregon.
The top 2 from each heat qualified, followed by the next two fastest runners up. Siofra, representing Villanova, was competing in the fastest heat of the 800m and has qualified for the final as one of the fastest runners up along with Olivia Baker of Stanford. Olivia Baker came third in a time of 2.02.76 followed by Siofra in fourth running a time of 2.03.11. They are seeded 3rd and 5th in the final respectively.
Siofra ran a seasons best of 2.03.05 in Tampa, Florida in May and we hope she can produce some more fast running tomorrow in the final to take home a medal. Earlier this year Siofra broke the 800m Irish indoor record when she competed in the 800 metres at the NCAA Championships in Texas. Running a time of 2.02.46, she beat Ciara Everard’s record by 0.12 of a second.
It looks like she’ll need to break the 2.03 mark to move up in this group of athletes but with a personal best of 2.01.98 (2016) anything is possible for the Irish athlete. We wish Siofra all the best in the final and will be keeping updated with the live results from the DI NCAA Outdoor Championships 2018 here.
Women’s 800m Final Qualifiers:
1. Jazmine Fray, Texas A&M, 2:02.55Q
2. Sammy Watson, Texas A&M, 2:02.65Q
3. Olivia Baker, Stanford, 2:02.76q
4. Sabrina Southerland, Oregon, 2:02.96Q
5. Siofra Cleirigh Buttner, Villanova, 2:03.11q
6. Abike Egbeniyi, Middle Tennessee State, 2:03.18Q
7. Ashley Taylor, NAU, 2:05.65Q
8. Martha Bissah, Norfolk State, 2:06.17Q