The National Road Relays held on Sunday, 22nd of April, saw 19 teams from around the country race in Raheny with less than a minute between the top three teams: Dundrum South Dublin (DSD), North Down A.C. and Dublin City Harriers A. Meghan Ryan of DSD was first to cross the line, overtaking Sarah Lindsay of North Down A.C. in the final leg of the women’s senior race. Ryan clocked the fastest women’s 1 mile time, powering home in 5 mins 10 secs. DSD’s final time was 21.34mins.
UCD A.C. won the title in 2017 in a time of 21.04mins and this year fielded a team of Alanna Lally, Ellie Hartnett and Renee Letz, finishing just outside medal position in 4th place. Lally and Hartnett switched legs from last year, with Alanna Lally taking the 1 mile and Ellie Hartnett running the 2 mile leg this year. Letz stepped up and joined the team earlier in the week when another team member had to pull out of the event due to injury.
Competition was fierce with many strong performances on the day, all Senior teams finishing between the times of 21.34mins and 26.22mins.
The Master’s women displayed some impressive racing with 13 teams entered in the W35 category and 4 entered in the W50 category.
The gold, silver and bronze team winners (W35) are as follows:
- Finn Valley A.C. (22.40mins): Catriona Devine, Teresa Doherty, Marie Harper
- Newbridge A.C. (23.33mins): Emma Boland, Michelle Cox, Sadie Wheatley
- Crusaders A.C. (23.40mins): Ilona McElroy, Adrienne Jordan, Niamh Corby
The gold, silver and bronze team winners (W50) are as follows:
- Raheny Shamrocks A.C. (24.25mins): Orla Gormley, Annette Kealy, Adrienne Atkins
- Finn Valley A.C. (26.35mins): Mary Hippsley, Kay Byrne, Noreen Bonner
- Drogheda District A.C. (28.51mins): Karen Delaney, Nuala Reilly, Deirdre McFerran